Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Churches- Eeny meeny miney moe

The other day my family was getting ready for church. While they walked off down the hill and I guarded the house, I thought about views on what church is. Do you ever think why or what made you go to the church you are at? How did you come to the conclusion this church was right for you and your family? Nate and I were talking this week about an article he had read, summarized, it said that maybe the reason why so many youth walk away from the church is because after their time in church from going to children's church and youth group is over, there is no other adult program for them. Most of the church and service activities are geared for the older majority of the church. So returning from college or just getting married, there is no program for them as a young adult. The author of the article said that perhaps there shouldn't be any programs so that expectation isn't there from the congregants that don't fit into a program, a commentator replied that their church thought the answer would be more young adult programs so that they would be included. In North Carolina there are so many churches that if you don't like your church, you can drive down the next block and you have another one to choose from. But, what if you only had one or two to chose from? What would your thoughts be about church? I certainly want to worship the Lord, and church is a public witness to those around us that we are Christians. With only a few to choose from here on the island I learned to look at church in a whole new light. What happens if we take what the church can do for me out of the picture and thought only about worshiping Him. Not what the church can offer our family, but how we can serve with the community in Bocachica. I have grown to love the church here on the island. I have seen the love the pastor has for the people of the church. I am in awe of how much the members spend time in church weekly. I notice the leaders have a strong desire to make this island better. I have noticed with only having limited choices for church I am more active in my desire to be part of the change. By the way this picture is not our church...it just shows the contrast. .

1 comment: